skip to content | skip to navigation

SEND Information and Local Offer

The information below sets out the 'Local Offer' which helps parents/carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What kind of Special Educational provision does the College provide?

Types of need Examples of support in our College How we check it is working
Cognition and Learning Small groups. High adult to student ratios. Personalised targets for students. Experienced staff team. Flexible accredited learning programmes. Regular assessments of personal targets Review of EHCP.
Physical Disabilities and Profound and Multiple Learning Disability Support for physical difficulties, provision of physiotherapy services and support for motor programmes. Experienced staff team. Use of Total Communication approach, for example Makaton, objects of reference, photographs and symbols. Provision of speech therapy. Communication targets for all students. All students have Communication Passports. Regular review of communication targets. Review of EHCP.
Complex medical needs Experienced staff team. On site nursing is available. Support for eating and drinking difficulties. Regular input and monitoring from Adult Learning Disability Dysphagia Team. Ongoing CPD and training for staff. All students have Communication Passports. Personalised targets and planning for individuals. Staff evaluations of training. Review of EHCP.

Our students may have any combination of the above.

2) How does the College identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

All our students have SEND and Education Health and Care Plans.

3) How does the College know how much progress is being made by its students with Special Educational Needs?

We have robust RARPA system in place including baseline assessments, recording data, target setting and tracking of progress. Our targets are set and reviewed regularly. There is an initial baseline review and then an annual review meeting held every year with the family and multi-disciplinary team to discuss the progress of each student.

4) Does the College have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

As a College for students with SEND we do not have a SENCO. Initial contacts for further information should be via the Head of College.

5) What training do the staff in College have in relation to students with Special Educational Needs?

Our tutors and support staff have a great deal of experience working with young adults with SEND. For staff who are new to the college we offer induction and training including Manual Handling and Communication. For all our staff we have a schedule of training across the year.

6) How does the college get more specialist help for students if they need it?

Within College we have access to a multi-disciplinary team of professionals who can offer specialist advice, these include nurses, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists and dieticians. We work very closely with all the professionals as well as parents to ensure we offer the best provision.

If we need to we will also work with other agencies for example Adult Learning Disability Team, Educational Psychologists, CHC Assessors and NHS Traded Services.

We also have staff who are experienced in Intensive Interaction, Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment and in some instances have qualifications in these areas.

7) How are parents of young people with SEND involved in their education?

We are happy to meet with parents as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the education their young person is receiving.

There are a range of opportunities both formal and informal for parents to come into college. Group tutors are happy to speak to parents regularly on the phone and all students have a home college book to assist in communication. We are also happy to arrange meetings with parents at any time of the year.

8) How are students with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

Wherever possible we will share the students’ information with them prior to review meetings taking place. Students will be encouraged to make choices within there every day curriculum as appropriate.

9) If a parent or a young person with SEND has a complaint about the college, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

Victoria College has a complaints policy. In the first instance we would encourage parents/carers to contact the Head of College to discuss the complaint with regards to resolving the issue, if this is not successful then follow the steps as outlined in the policy.

10) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of students with Special Educational Needs including support for their families?

The Board of Trustees’ have a wealth of knowledge and experience between them. Information/advice/matters of potential interest are disseminated at Board Meetings, visits and/or via other communications and can then be shared with families, carers and students.

11) Who are the support services that can help parents with young people who have Special Educational Needs?

The Special Educational Need and Disability Information and Advice Service (SENDIASS) are available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate College visits and offer advice.

SENAR are the department within the LA who manage the assessment and admissions process. They can be contacted on 0121 303 1888 or email at There are several parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance.

12) How does the College support young people with SEND through Transition?

Once the College receives the proposed list of students from SENAR the transition process will begin. Visits will be arranged to the students’ current placement and opportunities will be set up for the students to visit the college.

In the second year of College the annual review meeting will be attended by a careers advisor who will discuss future options for students when they leave college.

In the third year our transition support worker will work with young people and their families to plan a smooth transition out of college.

In the current situation most students are being funded for a 3 year placement at Victoria College, this is subject to variation depending on each local authority.

13) How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authorities Local Offer?

The Birmingham Local Offer website includes information about the wide range of services that are available to support all areas of a child’s life (0 to 25 years) especially those with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND).

This includes support with education, physical and mental health, social care, leisure activities and moving towards independence and adulthood.